UCS Introductory Letter

 Subject: Self-Introduction


Dear Professor Brad Blackstone,


I am Renee Matilda Kong, a student from your class, Critical Thinking and Communicating. I am currently an undergraduate in mechanical design and manufacturing engineering at the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). I graduated from Nanyang Polytechnic (NYP) with a diploma in engineering and business.


I was inspired to pursue engineering during my polytechnic internship experience at Sivantos which provided me with rare insight to the engineering aspect of the hearing aid industry. Despite having no background working in the engineering industry, my willingness to learn helped me immensely. While I was at Sivantos, I learned about the production processes and planning involved before launching a product into the market. This has made me more certain to pursue engineering as a career.


One strength I have in communication is having the ability to relate to others. I am able to empathise and communicate effectively with people. For instance, when I was participating in an event called Project Refresh, we worked with underprivileged families to upgrade and clean up their homes. Even though we were people from different walks of life, we bonded well and felt comfortable around each other.

However, one weakness in communication I have is my tendency to overuse fillers such as “um” and “ah”, which makes me seem nervous and unsure in front of my audience. Hence, I hope that through this module I will be able to gain more confidence while speaking and unlearn this habit. 


I look forward to your lessons and I strongly believe my communication skills would improve under your tutelage.


Thank you.


Best Regards,

Renee Matilda Kong.


Comments

  1. The overall content of the email is decent, with a general introduction into her life and her background. She also shared more on her communication strength and weakness, and her goals for the module.
    The language of the email is formal and appropriate, with few grammatical errors.
    The organization of the email could be improved by breaking the paragraphs into smaller chunks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee uses clear language and hits all content requirments. I appreciate her incorporation of her real life experiences to give context to her current situation. Giving examples are also a good way of going deeper into her strenghts and weaknesses.
    The letter is also organised in its execution making it easy to see her flow of thought.
    Overall this is a well written and well executed letter. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Renee,

    Thank you for this clear, concise letter. The content is well aligned with the assignment brief, you display appropriate organization and the language use is effective. You've also done well providing supporting information for each specific content point, which allows us readers to gain a better understanding of who you are.

    In the discussion of your internship experience, for example, you mention how you were motivated by the hearing aid tech development process to pursue engineering as your major; in discussing your comm skills, you also give clear specific examples. I'm especially impressed by your volunteer work with Project Refresh. I'm just curious about what you actually did and how you contributed.

    I look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for the feedback and comments :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Critical Reflection

Summary Draft 1 (Cleaning Robots)