Critical Reflection

To be perfectly candid, I could not comprehend the module's purpose at the beginning. I seemed to have the impression that I was once again in primary school, learning grammar from my teacher. Yet looking back, I see how important the first few lessons were in establishing my foundation in anticipation of tackling the subsequent tasks and assignments. This module was taught in a remarkably different approach compared to my other modules and academic experiences. This module was taught in a remarkably different approach compared to my other modules and academic experiences. I never envisioned that I would gain so much knowledge in one trimester. One of my main takeaways from this lesson is that this could only be accomplished with a great teacher and classmates. I've improved my current skill set and acquired new skills like how to properly cite sources. Furthermore, I had the rare opportunity of working together in class with a wide range of individuals, which increased my aptitude for situational adaptation. It is a valuable skillset to have as it helps me stay afloat while adversities in life may attempt to sink me down. In addition, I feel that I have improved my public speaking skills immensely. By speaking and reading aloud in class, I have gained more confidence. In my opinion, I can further develop my confidence in public speaking by practicing it more often. To conclude, through this module, I have greatly benefited from this module.
Initially, the project idea appeared to be daunting to me as I was unfamiliar with cars. In addition, the idea was mainly focused on the interior components with regards to improving the performance of the car. Because the concept is so complex, it was challenging for me to comprehend the components' functions. In order to gain a better understanding, I had to rely on research and youtube videos. Fortunately, when I had concerns about the mechanics, my team members were incredibly patient and understanding. Through researching, I managed to learn new information not only on electric vehicles (EV) as well as the benefits and limitations of EV adoptability.

One aspect of the project that I was in charge of was financial feasibility. Since our project is the first of its kind and extremely technical. I had to ensure that the idea is feasible for our stakeholder and the largest factor for consideration is cost. One of the biggest challenges for me was finding the research and development (R&D) costs as there were no company who attempted such an idea. In order for me to obtain certain information, I had to be financially literate which means learning how to read annual financial reports released by companies. After evaluating various methods of calculating the cost of manufacturing the solution. The group ultimately decided to use Bosch's R&D costs from their financial report because they have attempted to manufacture a similar idea. By adding the costs with the cost of car parts necessary for our idea, we came up with a total of $7,003,000. Initially, this amount of money seems exorbitant but after reassessing and comparing with Polestar’s budget for R&D, it fits within their budget at $170 million well. Hence, fulfilling the financial feasibility aspect of our idea. I learnt that such costs have many components to factor which not only include the costs of parts but also the cost of current technology.

Comments

  1. Thank you, Renee, for this detailed, frank reflection and ultimtely for your willingness to adapt.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UCS Introductory Letter

Summary Draft 1 (Cleaning Robots)

UCS: The Importance of Communication Skills